Posted .

Are you thinking that you might have had an allergic reaction to something at the dentist office? The first thing to do is find the source of your allergy. Here are some possibilities:

Latex

Latex can be found in disposable gloves, dental dams, syringes, and bandages and other dental supplies. Those allergic to it cover only 1-5% of the population, but that number leaps up to 17% if your job is in the medical field. The more experience you’ve had with latex, the greater the statistics are that your body will create an allergy. Here are some common symptoms: hives, itching, a stuffy or a runny nose, wheezing, chest tightness, difficulty breathing, and skin problems. These will show up only a few minutes after contact.

Nickel

Those with piercings can easily develop allergies to nickel. The allergy creates an itchy rash when in contact with the skin. Nickel is a component of many tooth restorative materials and orthodontic appliances. Keep in mind, however, that the allergy tends to react more to skin contact. An allergic reaction to a dental appliance or material inside the mouth is very unusual.

Resins

Resins are pretty characteristic of many restorative and cosmetic dentistry materials, such as composite fillings, sealants, bonding agents, crowns, and bridges. Symptoms include itching of the skin, a burning sensation, reddening, swelling, and lightheadedness. These usually wait to appear until a day or two after exposure.

If any of these descriptions fit your suspicions, don’t’ wait to meet with an allergist or dermatologist for an allergy test. If you discover that reason for your reaction is a material that Howe Dental in Roy, Utah at 801-752-0052.